from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the Dominican Republic or its people or culture.
- n. A native or inhabitant of the Dominican Republic.
- n. A person of Dominican ancestry.
- n. Roman Catholic Church A member of an order of preaching friars established in 1216 by Saint Dominic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person from the Commonwealth of Dominica or of its descent.
- n. A person from the Dominican Republic or of its descent.
- n. A member of the religious order founded by St. Dominic.
- adj. Of, from, or pertaining to Dominica, or its people.
- adj. Of, from, or pertaining to the Dominican Republic, or its people.
- adj. Of or belonging to the Dominican religious order.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to St. Dominic (Dominic de Guzman), or to the religious communities named from him.
- proper n. One of an order of mendicant monks founded by Dominic de Guzman, in 1215. A province of the order was established in England in 1221. The first foundation in the United States was made in 1807. The Master of the Sacred Palace at Rome is always a Dominican friar. The Dominicans are called also preaching friars, friars preachers, black friars (from their black cloak), brothers of St. Mary, and in France, Jacobins.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to St. Dominic or the Dominicans.
- Noting certain South American tanagers of the genus Paroaria, as P. cucullata, of dark-gray color with a pointed scarlet crest.
- n. One of an order of mendicant friars instituted by the Spaniard Domingo de Guzman in Languedoc in France, and confirmed by the pope in 1216.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to Saint Dominic or the Dominican order
- n. a Roman Catholic friar wearing the black mantle of the Dominican order
- n. a native or inhabitant of the Dominican Republic
- adj. of or relating to or characteristic of the Dominican Republic or its people
Sorry, no etymologies found.