from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of the Society of Mary, a congregation of Roman Catholic missionary priests founded in 1824.
- n. A member of the Little Brothers of Mary, a Roman Catholic teaching congregation founded in 1817.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A member of any of several Roman Catholic organizations named after the Virgin Mary
- adj. Of or pertaining to these organizations or their members
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A member of a Roman Catholic congregation devoted to the management of schools, instruction in industry and agriculture, etc.
- Pertaining or relating to the Virgin Mary; devoted to the service of the Virgin: as, Marist monks.
French Mariste, from Marie, the Virgin Mary, from Late Latin Maria; see marionette.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)