from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A thin disk of unleavened bread made from masa or wheat flour and baked on a hot surface.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A flat round bread made out of cornmeal or flour. In Mexican cuisine they are often served with a filling or topping such as frijoles "beans", carne "meat", salsa "sauce", sour cream and cheese, in which case they are called quesadillas.
- n. Spanish omelette; an omelette containing potatoes and onions
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An unleavened cake, as of maize flour, baked on a heated iron or stone.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A round cake; specifically, in Mexico, a large, round, thin cake prepared from maize.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. thin unleavened pancake made from cornmeal or wheat flour
American Spanish, diminutive of Spanish torta, cake, from Late Latin, a kind of bread.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Borrowing from Spanish (Mexican) tortilla. (Wiktionary)