from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Total or partial collapse of the lung.
- n. A congenital condition characterized by the incomplete expansion of the lungs at birth.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The collapse of a part of or the whole lung caused by inner factors rather than a pneumothorax.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Imperfect dilatation, especially of the air-cells of the lungs of newly born children.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. collapse of an expanded lung (especially in infants); also failure of pulmonary alveoli to expand at birth
New Latin : Greek atelēs, incomplete (a-, not; see a-1 + telos, end; see telo-) + Greek ektasis, stretching out (from ekteinein, to stretch out : ek-, out; see ecto- + teinein, to stretch; see epitasis).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Greek ἀτελής 'incomplete' + ἔκτασις 'extension', from ἔκτείνειν 'extend', from ἐξ 'out' + τείνειν 'stretch'. (Wiktionary)