American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A small swelling on the skin, as from an insect bite, that usually itches or burns.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pimple; a pustule.
- n. Specifically An elevation of the skin, of varying size, usually elongated in form, caused by a stroke, as of a rod or whip, or constituting an eruption, as that of urticaria. See urticaria.
- To produce a wheal upon.
- To suppurate; form a sore or pustule.
- n. A mine.
- n. A small raised swelling on the skin, often itchy, caused by a blow from a whip or an insect bite etc.
- n. UK, dialect, mining A mine.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A pustule; a whelk.
- n. A more or less elongated mark raised by a stroke; also, a similar mark made by any cause; a weal; a wale.
- n. Specifically (Med.), a flat, burning or itching eminence on the skin, such as is produced by a mosquito bite, or in urticaria.
- n. (Mining) A mine.
- n. a raised mark on the skin (as produced by the blow of a whip); characteristic of many allergic reactions
- Cornish hwel. (Wiktionary)
- Probably alteration of wale. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“L] istening to Mozart reduced allergen-induced skin wheal responses with a concomitant decrease of total and allergen-specific IgE production.”
“T] he skin wheal responses induced by latex or histamine were not changed after listening to Beethoven.”
“A wheal size ≥ 3 mm was considered positive for sensitization.”
“Really allergic kids will get a “wheal and flare” response, where it goes white first, then gets red and puffy like a linear hive along the line of the scratch.”
“A broad wheal from an old scar ran right across it from eye to chin, and by its contraction had turned up one side of the upper lip, so that three teeth were exposed in a perpetual snarl.”
“Don't feel that time will heal the wheal afflicting us, and me.”
“The reduction of wheal response was allergen-specific because listening to Mozart had no effect on histamine-induced wheal responses, that were not allergen-specific.”
“In contrast, the wheal responses induced by latex, but not by histamine, were significantly reduced after listening to Mozart.”
“February 9, 2008 at 3:08 pm wheal juss chalk that won up to hickspringyness”
“That goodness is the ability and want to preach the end to conflicts, the urge to decomission and reduce military perceptions, and show the providence handwith it's bounty and wheal.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘wheal’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Being a list of words which have "specifically" in their definitions.
A continuation of my first list, "A Serving of Random Palavery". Like the first, this list contains words that catch my attention, ring happily in my ears, are fun to speak, or are interesting to ...
just the next words that come along
good grief, I'm getting irritable.
words that make me uncomfortable, in some cases even nauseous
Looking for tweets for wheal.