from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A thick mush made of cornmeal boiled in water or stock.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. any of various types and consistencies of a starchy accompaniment to a meal made from coarse maize-meal porridge, sometimes fried or grilled
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Pudding made of Indian meal; also, porridge made of chestnut meal.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Italy: A porridge made of Indian meal (maize-meal), the principal food of the poorer people throughout large sections of the country.
- n. A porridge made of chestnut-meal, much used in autumn.
- n. In France, a porridge made of barley-meal, not common except in the south.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a thick mush made of cornmeal boiled in stock or water
Italian, from Latin, crushed grain, barley meal.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)