from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of numerous characteristically colonial hydrozoan coelenterates having a polyp rather than a medusoid form as the dominant stage of the life cycle.
- n. The asexual polyp in the life cycle of a hydrozoan.
- adj. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a hydroid.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of many colonial coelenterates that exist mainly as a polyp; a hydrozoan
- adj. Of or pertaining to such creatures
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Related to, or resembling, the hydra; of or pertaining to the Hydroidea.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Like water; living in the water.
- Resembling the hydra, or an animal of the genus Hydra.
- Pertaining to the Hydroida or Hydroidea, or having their characters: as, a hydroid hydrozoan.
- n. One of the Hydroidea.
- n. A hydropolyp.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. colonial coelenterates having the polyp phase dominant
hydr(a) + -oid.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)