from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various transparent, often subtly colored marine hydrozoans of the order Siphonophora, consisting of a floating or swimming colony of polyplike and medusalike individuals and including the Portuguese man-of-war.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various transparent marine hydrozoans, of the order Siphonophora, that float or swim as colonies of polyps.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the Siphonophora.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as siphonophoran.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a floating or swimming oceanic colony of polyps often transparent or showily colored
From New Latin Sīphōnophora, order name : Greek sīphō, sīphōn-, tube + Greek -phora, neuter pl. of -phoros, -phore.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)