from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of puff.
- n. An opinion or judgment, often made by the seller of property to a potential buyer, that is not made as a representation of fact.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- a. & n. from puff, v. i. & t.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The practice of writing or publishing puffs, or uncritical or venal praises of another person's productions or wares.
- n. In costume, one or more ridges or ribs intended for ornament; ornamentation by means of such ridges. See puffed.
- n. In gasteromycetous fungi, the sudden discharging of a cloud of spores. See puffball.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. blowing tobacco smoke out into the air
- n. an act of forcible exhalation
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Perhaps, his huffing and puffing is just venting and release of his demons.
Popo rises behind it with snow on his peak and smoke lazily puffing from the caldera.
Saxon heard the uptown train puffing and snorting as it pulled out from Center Street.
Phil, it’s disapointing that you are so ready to lampoon the excesses of Web 2.0 and other tech fluffery, but don’t perceive the limitations of your own background in puffing up another of the thousands of pointless developers’ concoctions.
He said Knapp was "puffing" - saying what he thought a real arms dealer would want to hear.
The "puffing" from the AGB star converting into the PNN Planetary Nebula Nucleus is not like a switch that is instantly turned off, but is likely an intermittent affair.
This is her kind of puffing out, you know, snorting out in sort of disgust.
Hope he's not huffing and 'puffing' about it all....
However, I do think that their TOS/EULA vs. how they hold out the service is problematic, and I wonder when advertising "puffing" becomes something more.
In the former case I think it promotes thinking in this way: -- that the mind concentrates its attention better during the mechanical operation of "puffing", than when it is liable to be disturbed when not so occupied.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.