from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of pant.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Breathing laboriously or convulsively.
- n. The act or process of breathing heavily, usually after exertion.
- n. Any fabric used to make trousers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The action of one who pants; hard and hurried breathing, with heaving of the breast or sides.
- n. In iron ship-building, a distortion with an inward and outward motion: said of flat areas of plating of a vessel, particularly at the bows, when insufficiently supported by the framing against the pressure of waves and water when the vessel is pitching.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any fabric used to make trousers
- n. breathing heavily (as after exertion)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Because they're not following you in panting desperation for your next morsel of linguistic loveliness, they're following you because they want more followers themselves.
Hanna lifted her head, breathing in short, panting gasps.
In other cases panting is caused, i.e. the mechanism most often seen in the dog under natural conditions, when it is hot.
Jack dropped to a walk, and the two girls, panting from the hard run, were not slow to follow his example.
The sunshine was at first dazzling in its brightness, and he paused and rested, for he was panting from the exertion.
For a moment he stood leaning heavily against its timbers, his breath coming in short panting sobs.
In the midst of pelting rain, which half-blinded him, swinging from side to side like a rapid and erratic pendulum, his torn hands paining him severely and his lungs panting from his exertions and panting from the very air which the wind sometimes blew into his mouth with strangling force, he finally arrived at the empty car.
"Nikita," CW's update of "La Femme Nikita" debuted to pretty strong ratings Sept. 9, thanks to a lot of fanboy panting, which is to say hype.
Her heart was pounding, her breath coming in short panting huffs.
The panting is a thermal regulation mechanism, Gonzalez said.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.