from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To move with a series of quick tapping steps.
- intransitive v. To make a repeated tapping sound.
- n. A series of quick steps, taps, or beats.
- adv. With a rapid tapping sound.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Alternative spelling of pit-a-pat.
- n. Alternative spelling of pit-a-pat.
- adv. Alternative spelling of pit-a-pat.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. In a flutter; with palpitation or quick succession of beats.
- n. A light, repeated sound; a pattering, as of the rain.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- With a quick succession of beats; in a flutter; with palpitation.
- n. A light quick step; a succession of light beats or taps.
- To step or tread quickly.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. describing a rhythmic beating
- adv. as of footsteps
Imitative.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)