from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The sound produced by beating a drum.
- n. Vehement, persistent advocacy of a cause: "the drumbeat of criticism of the news media from the right” ( Michael Pollan).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The beating of a drum.
- n. The sound of a beating drum.
- n. Forceful support of a cause.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The sound of a beaten drum; drum music.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The sound of a drum.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a vehement and vociferous advocacy of a cause
- n. (military) the beating of a drum as a signal for lowering the flag at sundown
- n. the sound made by beating a drum
Sorry, no etymologies found.