from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A rapid series of light tapping sounds.
- intransitive v. To make or move with a series of light tapping sounds: rain pitter-pattering on the roof.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A soft, percussive sound, as of tiny feet or rain on a rooftop.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. With, or with the sound of, alternating light beats.
- n. A sound like that of alternating light beats. Also, a pattering of words.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as pitapat; also noting a slighter and quicker beat, as of drops of water.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make light, rapid and repeated sounds
- adv. as of footsteps
- adv. describing a rhythmic beating
- n. a series of rapid tapping sounds
- v. rain gently
The shortcut may be setting yourself up for a trance by entrainment with a metronome-like pitter-patter of a tom-tom drum.
Although it seems that the intention of the video is to make your heart go pitter-patter, I found more value in the discussion it opens up.
Why couldn't they pitter-patter around the house, now that I had come home?
Day Seven — I thought I heard the pitter-patter of little feet.
When I hear my front door open, followed by the pitter-patter of uneven — sometimes clumsy — little steps coming down the hallway toward my home office, I smile.
The maggots, starved for oxygen, writhe and jump in the bag, creating a "pitter-patter" sound.
Here are five legit reasons the former goofball, currently engaged to actress Kristen Bell, makes our hearts go pitter-patter.
It's sweet enough to make even the most cynical heart go pitter-patter.
Jessica Alba is one among an ensemble of talented performers who will make the hearts of couples go pitter-patter this weekend when "Valentine's Day" arrives in theaters.
On Oct. 12, 2008, as the town slumbered, the pitter-patter of a gentle shower dimpled the dust of Alamos.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.