from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A rapid series of light tapping sounds.
- intransitive v. To make or move with a series of light tapping sounds: rain pitter-pattering on the roof.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A soft, percussive sound, as of tiny feet or rain on a rooftop.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A sound like that of alternating light beats. Also, a pattering of words.
- adv. With, or with the sound of, alternating light beats.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as pitapat; also noting a slighter and quicker beat, as of drops of water.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make light, rapid and repeated sounds
- adv. as of footsteps
- adv. describing a rhythmic beating
- n. a series of rapid tapping sounds
- v. rain gently
Imitative.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)