American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A rapid series of light tapping sounds.
- v. To make or move with a series of light tapping sounds: rain pitter-pattering on the roof.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as pitapat; also noting a slighter and quicker beat, as of drops of water.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A sound like that of alternating light beats. Also, a pattering of words.
- adv. With, or with the sound of, alternating light beats.
- v. make light, rapid and repeated sounds
- adv. as of footsteps
- adv. describing a rhythmic beating
- n. a series of rapid tapping sounds
- v. rain gently
- Imitative. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The shortcut may be setting yourself up for a trance by entrainment with a metronome-like pitter-patter of a tom-tom drum.”
“Although it seems that the intention of the video is to make your heart go pitter-patter, I found more value in the discussion it opens up.”
“Why couldn't they pitter-patter around the house, now that I had come home?”
“Day Seven — I thought I heard the pitter-patter of little feet.”
“When I hear my front door open, followed by the pitter-patter of uneven — sometimes clumsy — little steps coming down the hallway toward my home office, I smile.”
“The maggots, starved for oxygen, writhe and jump in the bag, creating a "pitter-patter" sound.”
“Here are five legit reasons the former goofball, currently engaged to actress Kristen Bell, makes our hearts go pitter-patter.”
“It's sweet enough to make even the most cynical heart go pitter-patter.”
“Jessica Alba is one among an ensemble of talented performers who will make the hearts of couples go pitter-patter this weekend when "Valentine's Day" arrives in theaters.”
“On Oct. 12, 2008, as the town slumbered, the pitter-patter of a gentle shower dimpled the dust of Alamos.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘pitter-patter’.
Go for it, brothers and sisters! I personally have been suffering long for lack of an open reduplicatives list
Shhh! Listen! Did you hear that?
Words that are fun to say....
Reduplicatives and more.
my favorite voiceless bilabial plosive.
Just about any word I like at the time.
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
These are words that just sound cool, make me smile, etc.
Looking for tweets for pitter-patter.