American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The act of pleading or arguing in favor of something, such as a cause, idea, or policy; active support.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of pleading for, supporting, or recommending; active espousal.
- n. A lawsuit; a plea or pleading: as, “advocacies newe,”
- n. the profession of an advocate
- n. the act of arguing in favour of, or supporting something
- n. the practice of supporting someone to make their voice heard
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act of pleading for or supporting; work of advocating; intercession.
- n. active support of an idea or cause etc.; especially the act of pleading or arguing for something
“GOLDBERG: Al Manar -- Al Man adds new meaning to the term advocacy journalism.”
“Perhaps his advocacy is against Bush rather than for Kerry, but he grasps that the only practical channel for that advocacy is supporting the Democratic nominee, regardless of the compromises that support entails for folks of Chomsky's ideological stripes.”
“Does your position flow from concerns about political expediency (ie., gun control advocacy is bad for progressive politics)?”
“Another guy, like most of the Scottish Enlightenment thinkers, who derived much of his position and advocacy from a theistic viewpoint.”
“And while $100 million is an incredible amount of money, conditional gifts should still be treated with healthy skepticism, because usually they are given in advocacy of one side of the debate or the other.”
“I will be the first to acknowledge that AAA was and is an important partner in advocacy campaigns from seatbelts to helmets.”
“Grassroots legislative advocacy is the bridge between imagining a better life for children and taking the concrete steps to make it a reality.”
“A lot of advocacy is just a matter of individual, private citizens speaking out by writing, calling and meeting with their legislators and other public officials.”
“The British trained lawyers are excellent in advocacy and they take great care in representing their clients.”
“My advocacy is unprecedented for the citizens of District 24.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘advocacy’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Use these and get promoted
broker a peace ac..., client state, deadlocked peace ..., embassy, freeze, goodwill ambassador, hinterland, interfere in dome..., intervene personally, maintain technica..., mediation, no business as usual and 670 more...
Words I learnt at law school
The vocabulary of conference interpreting. I commend this list to those who want to know more about the profession and to those who wish to organize their knowledge about the profession. To aspirin...
Looking for tweets for advocacy.