American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One that opposes another or others in a battle, contest, controversy, or debate. See Synonyms at enemy.
- adj. Acting against an antagonist or opposing force: opponent armies.
- adj. Located in front.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Situated in front; opposite; standing in the way.
- Opposing; antagonistic; adverse.
- In anatomy, bringing together or into opposition; having the action of an opponens. See opponens.
- n. One who opposes; an adversary; an antagonist; one who supports the opposite side in controversy, disputation, or argument, or in a contest of any kind.
- n. One who takes part in an opponency; the person who begins a dispute by raising objections to a tenet or doctrine: correlative to defendant or respondent. Synonyms Adversary, Antagonist, Opponent, etc. (see
adversary), rival, competitor, opposer.
- n. An individual or group who is a rival of another.
- n. One who attempts to stop the progression of.
- n. One who objects to.
- n. In team sports, a player of an opposite team.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Situated in front; opposite; hence, opposing; adverse; antagonistic.
- n. One who opposes; an adversary; an antagonist; a foe.
- n. One who opposes in a disputation, argument, or other verbal controversy; specifically, one who attacks some thesis or proposition, in distinction from the respondent, or defendant, who maintains it.
- n. a contestant that you are matched against
- adj. characterized by active hostility
- n. someone who offers opposition
- Latin from opponere, to oppose (Wiktionary)
- Latin oppōnēns, oppōnent-, present participle of oppōnere, to oppose; see oppose. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Her main opponent is Jose Serra of the Brazilian Social Democratic party.”
“Also, whatever forces create the conditions that allow Kohlhammer to be nominated as a candidate of any party - new or old - will also operate to require that his main opponent is also an Uptimer.”
“As a team we have tried to stay focused over this break, but I think that will be a little bit easier when we know who our opponent is actually going to be and who we will be focusing on.”
“I feel just as strongly about his candidacy this year, especially since his opponent is the nefarious Nathan Deal.”
“To ascribe base motivations and only base motivations, this without evidence, to your opponent is an adhominem attack.”
““To ascribe base motivations and only base motivations, this without evidence, to your opponent is an adhominem attack.””
“Pat Quinn has caught up in recent polls after running scathing ads suggesting his opponent is a gun-happy tax cheat who wants to cut the minimum wage.”
“I am one of those players who has many scars up and down my legs from being kicked, but I know I have a job to do and beating my opponent is my goal.”
“On the other hand, the opponent is an african-american man who many think is a secret muslim.”
“I don't want it getting out of this room, but my opponent is an impressive fellow in many ways.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘opponent’.
broker a peace ac..., client state, deadlocked peace ..., embassy, freeze, goodwill ambassador, hinterland, interfere in dome..., intervene personally, maintain technica..., mediation, no business as usual and 670 more...
announcement of c..., campaign headquar..., campaign season, campaign staff, campaign strategy, campaign tactic, campaign team, campaign trail, campaigning, candidate, candidate registr..., caucus and 930 more...
Very basic words for ESL students.
abandon,extreme e..., abash,to humiliate, abate,to lessen, abbreviate,to sho..., abridge, abdicate,to forma..., aberration,depart..., abnormality, abet,to encourage, abhor,to hate, abide,to follow o..., abject,utterly ho... and 2228 more...
abandon,extreme e..., dispensing of all..., abash,to humiliate, abate,to lessen, abbreviate,to sho..., abridge, abdicate,to forma..., aberration,depart..., abnormality, abet,to encourage, abhor,to hate, abide,to follow o... and 2229 more...
Also check out Reese Tee's Through Thick & Thin for more friend words.
Looking for tweets for opponent.