from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who fights, such as a soldier or boxer.
- n. A fast, maneuverable combat aircraft used to engage enemy aircraft.
- n. A pugnacious, unyielding, or determined person.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who fights, a combatant.
- n. A warrior; fighting soldier.
- n. A pugnacious, competitive person.
- n. A class of fixed-wing aircraft whose primary purpose is that of shooting down other aircraft. Some of these (Fighter-Attack or Attack aircraft) also have a secondary purpose of attacking ground targets.
- n. A boxer or participant in any martial art.
- n. A game with a focus on physical combat.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who fights; a combatant; a warrior.
- n. A boxer; a pugilist.
- n. A person with the determination and will to persist through great difficulty to achieve a goal; one with the courage to fight and resist an opponent, and to struggle with all one's powers.
- n. A military aircraft designed to seek out and destroy enemy aircraft; it is usually smaller and more maneuvarable than aircraft designed specifically for bombing. However, hybrid
fighter-bomberaircraft that perform both functions also are used.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who fights; a combatant; especially, one who is disposed to fight, or who fights well.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who fights for a cause
- n. someone who fights (or is fighting)
- n. a high-speed military or naval airplane designed to destroy enemy aircraft in the air
fight + -er (Wiktionary)