American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Sports An incompetent or easily defeated athlete, especially a prizefighter.
- n. Slang A stupid or clumsy person.
- n. US slang A stupid, oafish or clumsy person.
- n. US, boxing Someone incompetent or untalented in the specified area.
- n. a second-rate prize fighter
- Possibly, from Polish surname Paluka, or variant of Polack. (Wiktionary)
- Origin unknown. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“It's important to note that none of the potential cost-cutting measures I've mentioned touch the big palooka.”
“This is the guy that Federal should have signed up instead of the wrestling palooka.”
““Better than hitting some poor old palooka in the head,” Ruth replied.”
“I saw the big Irish palooka come out and head toward his car.”
“The best stories are usually when his bulldog, Mike, also plays a part, as the big dumb palooka gets into trouble with his loyal powerhouse furry friend.”
“Ah, there he is, just a lone palooka undertaking his civic duty.”
“So Obama's not the first palooka she's dumped in the fifth round.”
“After several years as a whiskey-soaked, washed-up boxer-turned-mob enforcer, the palooka Jack Murdock has turned his life around.”
“Lobes - you big palooka - we were wondering which country you were in at present - and the night was a pretty big one too… Nautilus took photos.”
“Now it looks like Goode is a palooka who picked on the wrong Muslim.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘palooka’.
Another range of words from the intermediate to the advanced speller's level.
Loved for their ingenuity, an exact description, or simply for the pure joy of it.
What?! And I'm supposed to pay for your lousy work, you... you...
A selection of English* words ending with a vowel (except "y", "ea", ie", "ee", "oo", "ea", "ou") that is REALLY pronounced.
My favorite English words, by the way.
The good twin of The ...
I figured out the thing all these terms have in common, besides that they can be used as insults. They all crack me up.
my favorite voiceless bilabial plosive.
Looking for tweets for palooka.