from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Informal A large, heavyset man.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. : In contact sports, an athlete whose size, strength, and/or aggressiveness make it likely that he will cause athletes on the opposing team to suffer physical punishment.
- n. By extension, a tall, strong, heavily built man, especially one prone to physical violence.
- n. A thug.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, bruises.
- n. A boxer; a pugilist; hence, a strong, tough person; -- often used in the phrase big bruiser.
- n. A concave tool used in grinding lenses or the speculums of telescopes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who bruises.
- n. A concave tool for grinding the specula of telescopes.
- n. The name of various machines for bruising grain, etc., for feeding cattle.
- n. A boxer; a pugilist; a bully.
- n. A name applied to various plants supposed to be efficacious in healing bruises, as bruise-wort, soapwort, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a large and strong and heavyset man
Sorry, no etymologies found.