from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person or group of persons, usually armed, responsible for the safety of one or more other persons.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person or group of persons, often armed, responsible for protecting an individual.
- v. To act as bodyguard for (someone); figuratively, to protect.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A guard or group of guards to protect or defend the person; a lifeguard.
- n. Retinue; attendance; following.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who protects or defends the person; a life-guard; collectively, the guard charged with the protection of some person, as a prince or an officer; hence, retinue; attendance; following.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who escorts and protects a prominent person
- n. a group of men who escort and protect some important person
- v. accompany and protect from physical harm
Instead of the term bodyguard, they prefer executive protection.
My God! Your right, Michael K-now thats what I call a bodyguard!!
Trevor leaves town on FBI business, but to keep Bobbie Faye from having one of her notorious very bad bad bad days as he will be gone for three days, he leaves her under the care of what he calls a bodyguard; she calls that person an adult babysitter.
The bodyguard is his nineteen-year-old kid, and the lad has fukced up every other job Beck has ever given him in the organization.
So to play it safe, I call my bodyguard and make sure he comes tonight.
Having a female bodyguard is more than just a status symbol in Russia.
He yells for Balsa to hear that they will defeat her and that her job as a bodyguard is over.
Fool Moon - The mutilated corpse of mobster Johnny Marcone's bodyguard is discovered by the police, only the murder weapon appears to be fangs and claws.
Horrocks, a salvager and the King's former bodyguard, is called upon by the Queen to find the missing King who's gone into hiding after a failed assassination attempt that took the life of one of his sons.
And then we have also had that request for those individuals who -- without using the word bodyguard - have a male presence.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.