from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a chaperon of a young lady, usually an older woman.
- n. a governess or nanny.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The chief lady in waiting on the queen of Spain.
- n. An elderly lady holding a station between a governess and companion, and appointed to have charge over the younger ladies in a Spanish or a Portuguese family.
- n. Any old woman who is employed to guard a younger one; a governess.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The chief lady in waiting on the Queen of Spain.
- n. An elderly woman holding a middle station between a governess and a companion, appointed to take charge of the girls of a Spanish family.
- n. Any elderly woman who is employed to guard a younger; a governess; a chaperon.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a woman chaperon
From Old Spanish duenna or dueña, from Vulgar Latin donna, from Latin domina ("Lady"). (Wiktionary)