from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A native maid or nursemaid in India.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A native female servant or maid, especially working for Europeans in South Asia.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A native nurse for children; also, a lady's maid.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In the East Indies, a native waiting-woman or lady's-maid; a nurse.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (in India) a native nursemaid who looks after children
Hindi āyā, from Portuguese aia, nursemaid, from Latin avia, grandmother; see awo- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From various Indian languages, after Portuguese aia ("nurse, governess"), feminine of aio ("tutor"). (Wiktionary)