from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A woman of gentle or noble birth or superior social position.
- n. A well-mannered and considerate woman with high standards of proper behavior.
- n. A woman acting as a personal attendant to a lady of rank.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A woman of the nobility.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A woman of good family or of good breeding; a woman above the vulgar.
- n. A woman who attends a lady of high rank.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A woman of good family or of good breeding.
- n. A woman who attends upon a person of high rank.
- n. A lady: a term of civility applied to any woman of respectable appearance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a woman of refinement
Sorry, no etymologies found.