from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Slang Exhibiting stereotypical or exaggerated feminine traits. Used especially of lesbians and gay men.
- n. Slang One who is femme.
- n. Informal A woman or girl.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A woman, a wife, particularly in heraldry.
- n. A feminine lesbian, and especially one who is attracted to masculine (or butch) lesbians.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A woman. See feme, n.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See feme.
French, from Old French, from Latin fēmina; see feminine.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Used in Middle English, from Old French fame et al. The modern spelling is under the influence of Middle and Modern French femme. (Wiktionary)