from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The wife or widow of a baron.
- n. A woman holding the title to a barony.
- n. Used as the title for such a noblewoman.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The female ruler of a barony. The male equivalent is baron.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A baron's wife; also, a lady who holds the baronial title in her own right.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The wife of a baron, or (in a few cases in England) a lady holding a baronial title as a peeress in her own right.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a noblewoman who holds the rank of baron or who is the wife or widow of a baron
Sorry, no etymologies found.