from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The woman ruler of an empire.
- n. The wife or widow of an emperor.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The female monarch (ruler) of an empire.
- n. The wife or widow of an emperor or equated ruler (e.g. Persian shah).
- v. Alternative form of impress.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The consort of an emperor.
- n. A female sovereign.
- n. A sovereign mistress.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A woman who rules over an empire; a woman invested with imperial power or sovereignty.
- n. The wife or the widow of an emperor: in the latter case called specifically empress dowager.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a woman emperor or the wife of an emperor
Middle English emperesse, from Old French, feminine of empereor, emperor; see emperor.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
emperor + -ess (Wiktionary)