from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The male ruler of an empire.
- n. The emperor butterfly.
- n. The emperor moth.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The male monarch or ruler of an empire.
- n. Specifically, the ruler of the Holy Roman Empire; the world-monarch.
- n. A large, relatively valuable marble in children's games.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The sovereign or supreme monarch of an empire; -- a title of dignity superior to that of king
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A commander-in-chief; a supreme leader of an army or of armies.
- n. The sovereign or supreme ruler of an empire: a title of dignity conventionally superior to that of king: as, the emperor of Germany or of Russia. See empire.
- n. In zoöl.: In entomology: One of several large sphinxes or moths: as, the peacock emperor, Saturnia pavonia. One of several large butterflies of the family Nymphalidæ: as, the purple emperor, the popular name in Great Britain of Apatura iris, also called the purple high-flier; the tawny emperor, A. herse. See Apatura.
- n. In ornithology, one of sundry birds notable of their kind.
- n. A large boa of Central America, Boa imperator, probably a variety of the Boa constrictor.
- n. Synonyms Monarch, etc. See prince.
- n. [capitalized] The trade-name of a standard quality of fine English drawing-paper made in sheets 72 by 48 inches.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the male ruler of an empire
- n. red table grape of California
- n. large moth of temperate forests of Eurasia having heavily scaled transparent wings
- n. large richly colored butterfly
The title emperor of Austria, then, replaced that of
Indeed, the title emperor is difficult of acquisition.
From the beginning, ideas, movements and feelings were swirling through the girl, making her a relentless witness of her time, and an authority-antagonist for whom the emperor is always naked.
The guilt of the emperor is aggravated by his long and frequent residence at Thessalonica.
The ITALIAN GOVERNMENT FORMALLY PROCLAIMED THE ANNEXATION OF ALL ETHIOPIA, the king of Italy assuming the title emperor of Ethiopia.
Self-professed “foodies” take note: the glorious Momofuk (y) u emperor is actually naked.
Wallace Stevens: "The only emperor is the emperor of ice cream."
Dennis, to point out that the emperor is wearing no clothes, that Constellation is a complete and utter failure, and that Shuttle C is just another crackpot rocket design by a bunch of incompentent and failed architects is doing America and NASA a great favor, not a disservice.
We are way, way past the point of quibbles over fine points of law and well into the regime where anybody can see the emperor is walking around in his undies.
If they are a good and righteous ruler, however, the emperor is granted immortality.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.