from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A lord having power or supremacy over other lords.
- n. One in a position of supremacy or domination over others.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A ruler of other rulers.
- n. Anyone with overarching power or authority in a given domain.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who is lord over another or others; a superior lord; a master.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who is lord over another; a feudal superior; a master; specifically, in reference to early English history, a king of one of the Anglo-Saxon realms who enjoyed a preëminence or authority over certain other kings or chiefs.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who has general authority over others
Then turn the bits and pieces that remain over to whatever corporate overlord is paying your tab.
Ajax, the Achaeanvillain, feels more like a quasi-medieval feudal overlord from a fantasy novel than a brash Homeric warrior.
Escape from evil overlord is the name of the game here, with a bit of bondage and gunplay.
Karimov ordered the "Pardon" because of his alliance with Usmanov's mentor, Uzbek mafia boss and major international heroin overlord Gafur Rakimov.
Being a dark tyrannical overlord is something that exempts one from Casual Friday, no matter how much the leather may chafe.
A Washington, D.C., crime overlord is fighting for his life in court.
If they believe that some socialist overlord is going to take away their right to drive, they won’t like it.
We’ll all dance when Dick Cheney, evil overlord, is FINALLY CHARGED with lying to a Grand Jury and has to resign.
The States-General claimed that, after the abjuration of Philip, the sovereignty of the provinces had reverted to them, as the common representative of a group of provinces that were now sovereign in their own right, and that the conferring of that sovereignty on another overlord was their prerogative.
The overlord is a fuel quality sensor that detects the gas-to-ethanol mix and automatically adjusts engine mapping based on the content of each.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.