Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state, office, or dignity of an overlord; specifically, in reference to early English history, the preëminence or authority of one of the Anglo-Saxon kings or kingdoms over certain other kings, kingdoms, chiefs, etc. Such an overlordship was held at different times by kings of Kent, Northumberland, Mercia, and Wessex.
- n. The position or quality of being an overlord.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Lordship or supremacy of a person or a people over others.
- n. the position of overlord
- overlord + -ship (Wiktionary)
“We have now arrived at the commencement of the long dispute about the "overlordship".”
“During the last weeks of Martin's wooing, she had withdrawn herself a little from the business of the farm into a kind of overlordship, from which she was far more free to detach herself than from personal service.”
“The possession of Mantua was decisive of Italian destiny, for its holder could command a kind of overlordship in every little Italian state.”
“It is possible that the Senoussi tribe will emerge from Benghazi's chaos and reassert its historic overlordship of eastern Libya.”
“He needn't; in this freakish expression of our overlordship, we already are.”
“All the content of my mind seemed to be an absolute faith in the overlordship of the mind.”
“Johnson peppered Swing with demands for background information about the Imperial Valley, “particularly ... the hold of the banks and the tyranny of those who hold the mortgages, the newspaper ownership, the Chandler overlordship, etc.””
““If Herr Hitler was prepared to make peace on the terms of the restoration of German colonies and the overlordship of Central Europe, that was one thing,” he soothed.”
“There is no particular reason why a line of sub-kings or client kings could not have continued for several generations under foreign overlordship.”
“Eager to conquer Karmag, Meliadus makes a deal with Hawkmoon: if he kidnaps Brass's daughter, the beautiful Yisselda, and brings her back to the Granbretan capital of Londra, Meliadus will restore Hawkmoon as Duke of Köln – subject to the overlordship of Granbretan, of course.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘overlordship’.
Looking for tweets for overlordship.