from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A papal ambassador or representative.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Ecclesiastic title of a permanent diplomatic representative of the Roman Catholic Church to a sovereign state or international organisation, accorded rank equivalent to an accredited ambassador, and may also be given additional privileges including recognition as Dean in a country's diplomatic corps.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A messenger.
- n. The permanent official representative of the pope at a foreign court or seat of government. Distinguished from a legate a latere, whose mission is temporary in its nature, or for some special purpose. Nuncios are of higher rank than internuncios.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A messenger; one who brings intelligence.
- n. Specifically A papal messenger; a permanent diplomatic agent of the first rank, representing the Pope at the capital of a country entitled to that distinction.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Roman Catholic Church) a diplomatic representative of the Pope having ambassadorial status
Italian, from Latin nūntius, messenger; see neu- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin nūntius ("envoy"). (Wiktionary)