from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A papal ambassador or representative.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Ecclesiastic title of a permanent diplomatic representative of the Roman Catholic Church to a sovereign state or international organisation, accorded rank equivalent to an accredited ambassador, and may also be given additional privileges including recognition as Dean in a country's diplomatic corps.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A messenger.
- n. The permanent official representative of the pope at a foreign court or seat of government. Distinguished from a legate a latere, whose mission is temporary in its nature, or for some special purpose. Nuncios are of higher rank than internuncios.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A messenger; one who brings intelligence.
- n. Specifically A papal messenger; a permanent diplomatic agent of the first rank, representing the Pope at the capital of a country entitled to that distinction.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Roman Catholic Church) a diplomatic representative of the Pope having ambassadorial status
Due to tensions between the two, in April 2004, Ranjith — who was not a Vatican diplomat — was named the nuncio in Indonesia and East Timor.
Luther and the papal nuncio cited in and see Kenneth M. Setton, “Lutheranism and the Turkish Peril,” Balkan Studies 3, no.
“We are occupied,” wrote a papal nuncio in 1523, in preparing for “the general war against the Turk,” as well as for “war against the nefarious Martin Luther, who is a greater evil to Christendom than the Turk.”
Scicluna stressed that ordinary faithful have not only the right but the duty to inform the Vatican, via the papal nuncio or ambassador in each country, when a situation of abuse is affecting the life of the diocese.
But it is too late, for Jaffe discovers the existence of the nuncio and in a fight both are infected by it and become higher beings – The Jaff and Fletcher.
Fletcher soon discovers a liquid form of the Art known as nuncio, testing it first on a chimpanzee who becomes a human with the ability of speech and thought, known as Raul.
The nuncio will force the being to the next evolutionary step, but Richard also knows if Jaffe were to use it, it would focus on his urges of murder and revenge, making him into a serial killer.
Before his election he served as the Vatican's No. 2 and before that as papal nuncio to Germany.
A veteran Vatican diplomat, Archbishop Sambi was named as papal nuncio to the U.S. by Pope Benedict XVI in December 2005, one of Pope Benedict first and most important appointments.
In Washington, after he arrived as nuncio, he told CNS that in his travels as a papal diplomat, it was "difficult to find a part of the world where the charity of U.S. Catholics did not reach the poor or sick people."
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.