from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A Vatican diplomatic envoy or representative ranking just beneath a nuncio.
- n. A messenger or an agent; a go-between.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A diplomatic representative of the Pope ranking below a nuncio
- n. A messenger or go-between
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A messenger between two parties.
- n. A representative, or chargé d'affaires, of the pope at a foreign court or seat of government, ranking next below a nuncio.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An official representative or ambassador of the papacy at a minor court, in distinction from a nuncio, who is its representative at a more important court.
- n. Hence A messenger between two parties.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Roman Catholic Church) a diplomatic representative of the Pope ranking below a nuncio
Italian internunzio, from Latin internūntius, mediator : inter-, inter- + nūntius, messenger; see nuncio.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)