from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A ruler, especially a hereditary one.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A ruler or governor, especially a hereditary ruler or someone who founded or is part of a dynasty.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A ruler; a governor; a prince.
- n. A dynasty; a government.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A ruling prince; a permanent or hereditary ruler.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a hereditary ruler
Latin dynastēs, from Greek dunastēs, lord, from dunasthai, to be able; see deu-2 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Late Latin dynastēs, from Ancient Greek δυναστής ("lord, ruler"), from δύνασθαι ("to be powerful"). (Wiktionary)