from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A female being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people.
- n. A female being believed to be the source of life and being and worshiped as the principal deity in various religions. Used with the.
- n. An image of a female supernatural being; an idol.
- n. Something, such as fame or wealth, that is worshiped or idealized.
- n. A woman of great beauty or grace.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A female deity.
- n. A human female honored or adored as physically attractive or of superior charm and intelligence.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A female god; a divinity, or deity, of the female sex.
- n. A woman of superior charms or excellence.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A female god or deity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a female deity
god + -ess, from ca. 1350. The figurative meaning is early modern, first found in Spenser's Shepheardes calender (1579). (Wiktionary)