American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A female being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people.
- n. A female being believed to be the source of life and being and worshiped as the principal deity in various religions. Used with the.
- n. An image of a female supernatural being; an idol.
- n. Something, such as fame or wealth, that is worshiped or idealized.
- n. A woman of great beauty or grace.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A female god or deity.
- n. religion A female deity.
- n. figuratively A human female honored or adored as physically attractive or of superior charm and intelligence.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A female god; a divinity, or deity, of the female sex.
- n. A woman of superior charms or excellence.
- n. a female deity
- god + -ess, from ca. 1350. The figurative meaning is early modern, first found in Spenser's Shepheardes calender (1579). (Wiktionary)
“But really I would have perferred to be the goddess or the temptress or the dark goddess but whatever”
“Sheen says he picked up the term "goddess" from Cage.”
“Aside from not rolling trippingly off the tongue, I found that many women took issue with the word goddess.”
“The ice goddess is able to control men against their will.”
“I swear to whichever goddess is presently in the mood to listen, if these weird dreams keep up, I'm going to have our water tested for LSD.”
“Aaron Carter tasted bile on Dancing With the Stars, fabulous guest judge Nigella Lawson fought the urge to hurl on Top Chef, and poor Carol Hannah dropped to her knees and worshiped the porcelain goddess on Project Runway.”
“What if the goddess is immortal but suffers the pains of mortal flesh?”
“The former “rain goddess” has become one of the most recognizable icons in comic culture, black or white.”
And The Greatest Black Superhero Is….. : SF Universe - SF Universe is your Science Fiction central. From SciFi television to movies to books and more. All the latest news, reviews and insights from SciFi experts.
“An actress looking for work ends up as a stand-in goddess in a nazi Xenium plot.”
“The new series acquisitions feature some of the best characters that the manga world has to offer, including fighting maids, a temperamental rain goddess, and — in a unique twist — cute, talking bacteria.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘goddess’.
words with the suffix -ess
Key words of the Odyssey by Homer in English including all those famous repeating epitethons like
Words about looking good
I am taking my lead from the 100 mile diet bloggers in Vancouver, whose guidelines for eating locally conclude with the observation that most things said about food are equally applicable to sex: t...
The present, the future. Goals, wishes, hopes.
Selection from Homer's, The Iliad. Written 800BCE. Samuel Butler translation.
A day will come w..., spears, bossed sh..., his eyes glared l..., a din which reach..., our cups kept bri..., the black blood f..., sweat rained from..., shady glades of t..., my arrow has not ..., many-fountained, thunderbolt, all bedrabbled in... and 102 more...
dedicated to my man Steven, without whom i would be addicted to drugs, lying in a gutter, hating myself, or hooking somewhere :)
Curious words having to do with women: positive or negative; feminine, observational, technical, weird, stupid, crass, etc. I loathe some of these words but I'm using this list as a catch-all... ev...
A general collection of the sort of words that make me happy when I hear or read them in everyday conversation and writing.
Looking for tweets for goddess.