from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Greek Mythology The Muse of tragedy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The Muse of tragedy
- proper n. 18 Melpomene, the asteroid.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The Muse of tragedy.
- n. The eighteenth asteroid.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In class. myth., originally, the Muse of song and musical harmony, looked upon later as the especial patroness of tragedy.
- n. A planetoid, the eighteenth in order of discovery, first observed by Professor Hind at London in 1852.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Greek mythology) the Muse of tragedy
Greek Melpomenē, from feminine present middle participle of melpein, to sing.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek melpesthai (to sing). (Wiktionary)