American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Greek Mythology The goddess of discord.
- n. Greek mythology The goddess of discord, confusion, and strife, keeper of the golden Apple of Discord which she threw into the wedding of Peleus and Thetis starting the Trojan War; daughter of Nyx, sister and constant companion of Ares, mother of Lethe.
- n. astronomy The largest known dwarf planet in the Solar System (initially dubbed the "tenth planet"), officially known as 136199 Eris, with one natural satellite, Dysnomia.
- n. (Greek mythology) goddess of discord; sister of Ares
- From Ancient Greek Ἔρις (Eris), from ἔρις (eris, "strife"). (Wiktionary)
“The goddess Eris is most famous for having started the Trojan War after being snubbed at a wedding.”
“Dr. Michael E. Brown, a professor of planetary astronomy at the California Institute of Technology who discovered the distant ball of ice and rock that he nicknamed Xena, chose the name Eris, after the goddess of discord and strife in Greek mythology.”
“Cook and his companions considered this difference among the Tahaitians to arise from the circumstance of the tall fair race, (called Eris, which is pronounced _Yeri_,) the more distinguished class, being less exposed to the sun and to hard labour, and their women more reserved and less licentious.”
“(In more recent mythology, Eris is the central figure in Discordianism, and a recurring character on the Cartoon Network's The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy.”
“Planet-x.com.au » 2012 Planet X – Eris aka Planet X Is Now Visible 4-4:30am on …”
“One of the new icy objects out there called Eris is even bigger than Pluto, and there are a couple of others that are nearly as big.”
“The lonely rock at the edge of the solar system that caused Pluto's downfall has been dubbed Eris after the Greek goddess of strife, astronomers say.”
“At $49.99 (new account or upgrade, Wirefly prices) the Eris is a shockingly great deal.”
“The Eris is a nice phone, but the lag is starting to get to me, specially when I am trying to dial a number.”
“Apple showed the Droid Eris, which is sold by Verizon Wireless, go from a full bar count down to zero.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Eris’.
pretty open-ended here—terms, ideas, lingo, technologies and phenomena (real or postulated) that are, were, should be or could be used in speculative fiction
related: Mythological Gods 3+ syllables list | 1 syllable list | 2 syllable list
A list of mythological gods that people have worshipped throughout history (includes primordial dieties).
They can be animate or inanimate (male or female). 2 syllables
Looking for tweets for Eris.