American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A transient, sometimes violent storm of thunder and lightning, often accompanied by rain and sometimes hail.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A storm accompanied by lightning and thunder, occurring when the atmosphere is in a state of unstable equilibrium, and has a high relative humidity. Thunder-storms have been conveniently classified into heat thunder-storms and cyclonic thunder-storms. The former is the type preëminently characteristic of the equatorial regions, where lightning and thunder occur on their grandest and most violent scale. Here the thunderstorm has little or no progressive motion, and its entire history may be followed in the overturning process by which an abnormally hot, humid, unstable condition of the atmosphere becomes stable. In summer similar heat thunderstorms arise locally in temperate latitudes, especially in hilly or mountainous countries. Thunder-storms of the second class are associated with areas of low pressure, and are found most frequently on their southern border, in the quadrant where an unstable atmospheric condition tends to prevail. These thunder-storms have a progressive motion eastward, but their velocity may be quite different from that of the general cyclonic movement with which they are associated. The different isobaric types known as secondaries and V-shaped depressions give rise to thunder-storms having distinct features, and those accompanying the latter have been specifically designated line thunder-storms. In general, the diurnal and annual periods and other characteristics of cyclonic thunder-storms exhibit a wide diversity in different regions, and thereby illustrate the intimate dependence of these storms on the differing cyclonic conditions which characterize different climates. Thus, in Iceland thunder-storms occur only in winter, so that the usual annual periodicity is there reversed.
- n. A storm consisting of thunder and lightning produced by a cumulonimbus, usually accompanied with rain or hail. A more severe thunderstorm can cause mesocyclones.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A storm accompanied with lightning and thunder.
- n. a storm resulting from strong rising air currents; heavy rain or hail along with thunder and lightning
- English, from thunder, and storm. (Wiktionary)
“Should I make the point in the summer that a not so severe thunderstorm is an example or type of weather that you should expect is there is no climate change?”
“So after lighting the storm lanterns for the inevitable collapse of the power grid, I get to enjoy the spectacle of the thunderstorm from the dry comfort of my front porch.”
“Today, I came home from work early, did a little laundry, relaxed with a cup of Zen tea, and watched a marvelous thunderstorm from the safety of my big green living room chair.”
“We might stay in the siding until the thunderstorm is over; but it may keep on raining all night and anyway it will be pitch dark.”
“(see pp. 13-16 of 'Birdie') and on pages 93 and 94 of the Report the description of a thunderstorm is very much like Birdie's idea of the same in the 'Dew Fairies' on pages 59 and 60 of my book.”
“I took the photos right before and during a thunderstorm, which is why some are with a flash.”
“A thunderstorm is the proverbial wet blanket if couched in terms of greenhouse theory.”
“While astronomy is my bride, the thunderstorm is my mistress.”
“She cursed him mentally, and wished she could call a thunderstorm out of the sky the way the shaman could-under cover of a good downpour, she could slip away with no trouble at all.”
“It may even have kept a rhythm in his sleeping mind, without the need of a dream to house it, for the first he knew of the thunderstorm was a silent double-gleam of lightning that spelled out the same iambic, and caused him to start awake with eyes still closed, and listen for the answering thunder.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘thunderstorm’.
Words that have been smashed together.
Should I bring an umbrella?
Words associated with summer
I'm a writer/artist/jewelry maker/singer and I love fairies and Harry Potter, I love Lord of The Ring, and music is my absolute life. I wish to travel someday to Ireland. I'm a very creative pers...
Looking for tweets for thunderstorm.