from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A transient, sometimes violent storm of thunder and lightning, often accompanied by rain and sometimes hail.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A storm consisting of thunder and lightning produced by a cumulonimbus, usually accompanied with rain or hail. A more severe thunderstorm can cause mesocyclones.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A storm accompanied with lightning and thunder.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A storm accompanied by lightning and thunder, occurring when the atmosphere is in a state of unstable equilibrium, and has a high relative humidity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a storm resulting from strong rising air currents; heavy rain or hail along with thunder and lightning
English, from thunder, and storm. (Wiktionary)