from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A shower or fall of rain.
- n. The quantity of water, expressed in inches, precipitated as rain, snow, hail, or sleet in a specified area and time interval.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the amount of rain that falls on a single occasion
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A fall or descent of rain; the water, or amount of water, that falls in rain.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A falling of rain; a shower.
- n. The precipitation of water from clouds; the water, or the amount of water, coming down as rain. The rainfall is measured by means of the pluviometer or rain-gage. The average rainfall of a district includes the snow, if any, reduced to its equivalent in water.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. water falling in drops from vapor condensed in the atmosphere
rain + fall (Wiktionary)