from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A tornado or lesser whirlwind occurring over water and resulting in a funnel-shaped whirling column of air and spray.
- n. A hole or pipe from which water is discharged.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a tornado that occurs over a body of water
- n. a channel through which water is discharged, especially from the gutters of a roof
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A remarkable meteorological phenomenon, of the nature of a tornado or whirlwind, usually observed over the sea, but sometimes over the land.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pipe, nozle, or orifice from which water is spouted.
- n. A spout, jet, or column of water; specifically, a whirlwind over a body of water, producing the appearance of a solid column of water extending from the surface to the clouds.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a tornado passing over water and picking up a column of water and mist
- n. a channel through which water is discharged (especially one used for drainage from the gutters of a roof)
- n. a heavy rain
Sorry, no etymologies found.