American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The action or a method of draining.
- n. A system of drains.
- n. Something that is drained off.
- n. Medicine The removal of fluid or purulent material from a wound or body cavity.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act or process of draining; a gradual flowing off, as of a liquid.
- n. The system of conduits, channels, or passages by means of which something is drained.
- n. That which is drained off; that which is carried away by a system of drains; the water carried off by the systems of rivers and their minor affluents in any drainage-basin, or area of catchment, or in any part thereof. See basin, 8, and catchment.
- n. In surgery, the draining of the pus and other morbid products from an accidental or artificial wound.
- n. In surgery, drainage of a cavity by a tube which opens at the surface at two opposite points, allowing irrigation and drainage of the cavity without disturbance of the dressings.
- n. A natural or artificial removal of surface and sub-surface water from a given area.
- n. A system of drains.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A draining; a gradual flowing off of any liquid; also, that which flows out of a drain.
- n. The mode in which the waters of a country pass off by its streams and rivers.
- n. (Engin.) The system of drains and their operation, by which superfluous water is removed from towns, railway beds, mines, and other works.
- n. Area or district drained
- n. (Surg.) The act, process, or means of drawing off the pus or fluids from a wound, abscess, etc.
- n. emptying something accomplished by allowing liquid to run out of it
“After pre-washing, complaints were gone, dishes are really clean and the drainage is a lot better. robertrock angrykeyboarder”
“MARK WILLIAMS, NEWS DIRECTOR, WNDB NEWSTALK 1150: Several weeks ago, the Orange County Sheriff ` s Department held what they have -- and I ` m going to put in quote -- a "training exercise" in what we call a drainage area or a drainage pond near the Anthony home.”
“She said contractors are dredging too many streams, transforming wild pools and rapids that are crucial trout habitat into what she describes as "drainage ditches.”
“Can't Post | Private Reply you are right. the drainage is not only a structural issue, but a good potential source of gray water. sammy in ny barbaroja”
“Kasai Portoenterostomy - This operation connects the bile drainage from the liver directly to the intestinal tract.”
“Since urine from the first bladder drainage is old urine, and urine from the second drainage represents urine that may have emptied from the kidneys, the third and most recent urine specimen is usually the most reliable for analysis.”
“SeveralJACKSON-PRATT drainsin your child's abdomen to help remove extra drainage from the surgical site.”
“There need to be some improvements in drainage, dykes and dams and that sort of thing.”
“Look at the report and be prepared to be shocked by the photo of the main drainage canal.”
“Complaints: civilians entering the camp; the drainage is very bad; better protective clothing is needed and cupboards for the kitchen.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘drainage’.
Words that relate to bicycling or mountain biking
Crops, fruits and vegetables + plant growing terms
A list created for TRM, because there are certain words that we just kind of hate.
condition; result of; account; number of; cost of; place of; collection of; home of; to act
words and phrases with french background commonly used in the german language, so-called "Gallizismen"
Some days, there will be a word. That word is the word of the day. Other days shall remain wordless. That's just the way things go.
Looking for tweets for drainage.