from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of one that taps.
- n. The process or means by which something is tapped.
- n. Something that is taken or drawn by tapping.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An act of making a light hit or strike against something.
- n. A guitar technique in which the strings are tapped against the fingerboard
- v. Present participle of tap.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- The act or process of boring a hole in a pipe, cask, or any similar object for the insertion of a spigot or faucet.
- In surgery, paracentesis, or the operation of giving vent to fluid which has collected in some space, as that of the pleura or peritoneum.
- n. The act of giving taps or slight and gentle blows; also, a series of taps.
- n. In foundry work, the operation of jarring or shaking the pattern in the loam by striking it gently to release it without disturbing the loam.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the sound of light blow or knock
Sorry, no etymologies found.