from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or process of making a map.
- n. Mathematics A rule of correspondence established between sets that associates each element of a set with an element in the same or another set.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The process of making maps.
- n. A function that maps every element of a given set to a unique element of another set; a correspondence.
- n. The process of locating genes on a chromosome.
- n. Assigning a PC to a shared drive or printer port on a network.
- v. Present participle of map.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A function such that for every element of one set there is a unique element of another set.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (mathematics) a mathematical relation such that each element of a given set (the domain of the function) is associated with an element of another set (the range of the function)
- n. (genetics) the process of locating genes on a chromosome
Sorry, no etymologies found.