American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Hinduism A principal Vedic deity associated with rain and thunder.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Hindu mythology, in the oldest or Vedic religion, the god of the thunder-storm, whose office it is to transfix the demon that hides and keeps back the rain, and to pour this out upon the earth. He is the most conspicuous and most lauded god in the Vedic pantheon. In the later religion he is the chief of the gods of second rank. He is represented in various ways in painting and sculpture.
- n. Hinduism The God of War and Weather, also the King of the Gods or Devas and Lord of Heaven or Svargaloka in Hinduism.
- n. chief Hindu god of the Rig-Veda; god of rain and thunder
- From Sanskrit इन्द्र (índra). (Wiktionary)
“THE JUDGMENT or INDRA: A Hindu play, in which a priest of Indra, after making a supreme sacrifice of himself and others in order to root out human affection from his heart, thinks that his god speaks in the lightning of the storm that ensues.”
“Indra is not alone in the field of electronic voting.”
“The connections between the heliopter creatures and the use of mind-altering drugs are also abundantly seen in the Sanscrit text, the Atharva-Veda of ancient India, in which the alien force is called Indra and the drugs, soma:”
“Then the lad answered, according to the old hag's bidding, 'I want your skin, for King Indra is making a new kettledrum, and says your skin is nice and tough.”
“Muller asks, 'what should we gain if we called Indra ... a totem?”
“Indra is surprised by Yuna’s image but loves Yuna’s Norah Jones-like voice:”
“The main Chaumos ritual takes place at a Tok tree, a place called Indra's place, "indrunkot", or "indréyin".”
“There is then the tirtha of the Kumarikas of Indra, that is much resorted to by the”
“Matali that driveth, by his mind alone, that ever-victorious and best of cars belonging to Indra, which is drawn by thousand steeds.”
“There is then the _tirtha_ of the _Kumarikas_ of Indra, that is much resorted to by the _Siddhas_.”
‘Indra’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Indra.