from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Hinduism A mother goddess having various manifestations and roles, especially that of consort to Shiva.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. Shakti, the female aspect of the divine, as conceptualized by the Shakta tradition of Hinduism. She is the female counterpart without whom the male aspect, which represents consciousness or discrimination, remains impotent and void.
- proper n. A title put at the end of any female deity's name within Hinduism (e.g.- Lakshmi Devi, Saraswati Devi, Kali Devi).
- proper n. A female given name used in India.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. ; fem. of deva. A goddess.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. Hindu mother goddess; supreme power in the universe; wife or embodiment of the female energy of Siva having both beneficent and malevolent forms or aspects
The Kumari Devi is just an innocent child when she is chosen to become the goddess; eligible because she is one of few who bears "the thirty-two signs of perfection", chosen because she alone passes a series of traumatic tests.
The ex-Devi is implanted with an unprecedented five AIs for one final run, but the Krishna cops close in and she must act fast.
Phoolan Devi is said never to have fully recovered from Vikram Mallah's death, and she has always adamantly refused to discuss what followed next, but it is known from reliable witnesses that she was gagged and perhaps chloroformed, and her legs and arms were bound, before Sri Ram and Lala Ram threw her into a boat.
Mansa devi mansadevi. nic.in Maharaja Gopal Singh of Manimajra constructed the present main temple of Shri Mansa Devi, which is situated on the Shivalik foothills in village Bilaspur, Tehsil and District Panchkula, during the period 1811-1815.
The police said that the deceased had been identified as Devi Maya Phuyal and Kali Pariyar.
Harian Metro The Society Photographer - LIVE FROM STUDIO IN THE CITY, NTV7 This video was shot during a visit to a "Mamak" or "Ma-Pleh" called Devi in the neigbourhood.
It is a male title given to a female deity [Serifa] which is incorrect and the correct title would be "Devi"[Meaning Goddess].
'Devi' addressed the social issue of making a girl child 'devi' or goddess under superstition.
Earth Show # 185 with Vivianne ( "Devi") Nantel and PETA
'Devi' addressed the social issue of making a girl child
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.