American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Mythology A water sprite of German mythology, usually in human form or half-human and half-fish.
- n. Nothing.
- adv. Not so; no.
- v. To forbid, refuse, or veto: Congress nixed the tax hike.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Teut, myth., a water-spirit, good or bad. The Scotch water-kelpie is a wicked nix. Also written nis.
- n. Nothing; as an answer, nothing; also, by extension, as adverb, no.
- n. See the quotation.
- An exelamation of alarm used by thieves, street Arabs, and others: as, nix, the bobby! (policeman).
- n. A treacherous water-spirit; a nixie.
- n. colloquial : nothing.
- v. To make something become nothing; to reject or cancel.
- v. To destroy or eradicate.
GNU Webster's 1913
- (Teut. Myth.) One of a class of water spirits, commonly described as of a mischievous disposition.
- n. a quantity of no importance
- v. command against
- From German nix, colloquial form of nichts ("nothing"). Compare also Dutch niks ("nothing"), informal for niets ("nothing"). More at naught. (Wiktionary)
- German, from Middle High German nickes, from Old High German nihhus.German dialectal, from Middle High German nihtes, genitive of niht, from Old High German niwiht : ni, not, no; see ne in Indo-European roots + wiht, thing; see wekti- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“_Course_, it's nix on Junior, an 'it's _nix_ on Peter if you say so.”
“The male is called nix, the female nixie, the generic term for both being nicker, from a root which perhaps means to wash.”
“She alsovoted against the torture bill, co-signed the Restore the Constitution Act which would restore habeas corpus and "nix" the immunity for war crime status granted the PResident in the torture bill, etc ....”
“Education (tho my kids will not be going to public school like I did, so you can kind of nix that one) 4.”
“a little Phœnix, which is destined to live as many years.”
“You're right, the "ex" seems to kind of nix it all.”
“I have bought the copyright to "nix" .... you're all screwed.”
“Oh wait, the guy who sold it to me will say he only sold me the rights to use the three letters "nix" and not the copyright itself and it will cost millions to settle it, one way or the other, but once it is settled ..... you're all screwed.”
“The technician who answered the call (Jason) was very friendly and is a 'nix' user, though the flavor I won't mention here ..”
“He got so excited to be talking to another 'nix' user.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘nix’.
A list of 3-letter words which cannot be formed by adding a letter to a 2-letter word (see Ken Clark's word lists found at http://www.seattlescrab...
Words or Sayings from the 1920's or whatever that no one really uses anymore (at least in that context).
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
A list of terms that denote separating one thing from another, or deconstructing a thing into its parts or to a former state. E.g., untie, divorce, unscramble.
Destructive verbs that speed up entropy. (Still working on definition of what I want; may add adjectives later.)
Valid 3-letter words with an x. Also, longer words with more than one x in them.
Of low worth or little importance.
Unwanted matter by drusky is a nice, related list.
Words ending in "x" (except proper nouns and trademarks)
Names of 'the Devil himself, the devils his "flaming ministers", household goblins, rural demons, bogles, sprites, and fairies of all kinds' mentioned in Charles P.G. Scott's 'The Devil and His Imp...
A myriad of game-changing words every Scrabble addict must have in his arsenal.
Keep in mind that these are all tried-and-true feasibly playable words selected for their handiness, i.e...
Looking for tweets for nix.