from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Greek Mythology The river across which the souls of the dead are ferried, one of the five rivers in Hades.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. the river, in Hades, over which the souls of the dead are ferried by Charon
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The principal river of the lower world, which had to be crossed in passing to the regions of the dead.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Greek myth, a river of the lower world.
- n. [NL.] In zoology, a genus of butterflies, of the subfamily Pierinæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Greek mythology) a river in Hades across which Charon carried dead souls
Latin, from Greek Stux.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek Στύξ. (Wiktionary)