from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A legendary sea creature having the head and upper body of a man and the tail of a fish.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A legendary creature, human male from the waist up, fishlike from the waist down.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The male corresponding to
mermaid; a sea man, or man fish.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fabulous man of the sea, with the lower part of the body that of a fish.
- n. In heraldry, same as triton.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. United States singer who appeared in several musical comedies (1909-1984)
- n. half man and half fish; lives in the sea
mer(maid) + man.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle English mereman, from Old English *meremann ("merman") (suggested by Old English meremenn, meremennen, meremenin ("mermaid, siren"), equivalent to mer- + man. Cognate with Dutch meerman ("merman"), German Meermann ("merman"). (Wiktionary)