from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A legendary sea creature having the head and upper body of a woman and the tail of a fish.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A mythological creature with a woman's head and upper body, and a tail of a fish.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A fabled marine creature, typically represented as having the upper part like that of a woman, and the lower like a fish; a sea nymph, sea woman, or woman fish.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fabled marine or amphibian creature having the form of a woman above the waist and that of a fish below, endowed with human attributes, and usually working harm, with or without malignant intent, to mortals with whom she might be thrown into relation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. half woman and half fish; lives in the sea
Sarah, who goes by the name mermaid lady on BodySpace, took a gradual approach by first researching nutrition and exercise and talking to others about weight loss and training, then incorporating strategies for creating change.
The wife of a Teton (the Tetons are a tribe of American natives) deserted him, abandoned her infant to her younger brother's care, and plunged into a stream, where she became what we call a mermaid, -- and all because her husband had scolded her.
She was wearing what she called her mermaid outfit: long, form-fitting aquamarine sequined skirt slit nearly to the waist, halter top, shimmering cape held like angel wings,
That’s how it ended up with the name mermaid weed.
A Mazatlan mermaid is captured in perpetual performance for strollers and lovers alike.
The mermaid is awesome, the fire elemental is sick, but the two faced guy is stupid.
Life as a mermaid is much easier than all this! we lay piles of eggs on the coral reef and the mermen fertilise them. then we all go off and play water volley ball.
May 18th, 2009 at 10: 33 pm this mermaid is fake because in the pic the hair is to shiny don’t u think
I hesitate to use the word mermaid as she does not look like one in the traditional sense.
The mermaid was a sign, an advertisement of some kind, for a business run by a man in a nice car.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.