from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Greek Mythology One of a race of monsters having the head, arms, and trunk of a man and the body and legs of a horse.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A mythical beast having a horse's body with a human head and torso in place of the head and neck of the horse.
- n. An icy planetoid that orbits the Sun between Jupiter and Neptune (also capitalized).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A fabulous being, represented as half man and half horse.
- n. A constellation in the southern heavens between Hydra and the Southern Cross.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Greek myth, a monster, half man and half horse, descended from Ixion and Nephele, the cloud.
- n. The constellation Centaurus.
- n. In heraldry See sagittary.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a conspicuous constellation in the southern hemisphere near the Southern Cross
- n. (classical mythology) a mythical being that is half man and half horse
Middle English, from Latin Centaurus, from Greek Kentauros.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin centaurus, from Ancient Greek κένταυρος (kentauros), from Κένταυρος (Kentauros, "a member of a savage race from Thessaly"). (Wiktionary)