from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or an instance of refusing.
- n. The opportunity or right to accept or reject something before it is offered elsewhere.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of refusing.
- n. Depth or point at which well or borehole drilling cannot continue.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of refusing; denial of anything demanded, solicited, or offered for acceptance.
- n. The right of taking in preference to others; the choice of taking or refusing; option.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of refusing; denial or rejection of anything demanded, solicited, or offered for acceptance.
- n. The choice of refusing or taking; the right of taking in preference to others; option of buying; preëmption.
- n. In hydraulic engineering, the resistance of a pile at any point to further driving.
- n. In mech., the limiting resistance of a female screw or nut to further turning upon the male screw or bolt, and conversely.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of refusing
- n. a message refusing to accept something that is offered
Sorry, no etymologies found.