from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Tending or threatening to impede progress: forbidding rapids.
- adj. Unpleasant; disagreeable: a forbidding scowl.
- adj. Having a menacing aspect: forbidding thunderclouds.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. highly unpleasant or disagreeable
- adj. threatening or menacing
- v. Present participle of forbid.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Repelling approach; repulsive; raising abhorrence, aversion, or dislike; disagreeable; prohibiting or interdicting
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Repelling approach; repellent; repulsive; raising aversion or dislike; disagreeable: as, a forbidding aspect; forbidding weather; forbidding manners.
- Synonyms Unpleasant, displeasing, offensive, odious, abhorrent, repellent.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. harshly uninviting or formidable in manner or appearance
- adj. threatening or foreshadowing evil or tragic developments
- n. an official prohibition or edict against something
Sorry, no etymologies found.