from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Prohibiting; forbidding: took prohibitive measures.
- adj. So high or burdensome as to discourage purchase or use: prohibitive prices.
- adj. So likely to win as to discourage competition: the prohibitive favorite to win the nomination.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Tending to prohibit, preclude, or disallow.
- adj. Costly to the extreme; beyond budget.
- n. negative imperative
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. That prohibits; prohibitory.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as prohibitory.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. tending to discourage (especially of prices)
prohibit + -ive (Wiktionary)